Monday, March 18, 2013

Love and dread? Yes.

This is the time of year I dread and love at the same time.  I love making things without the constraint of having shows every weekend.  I dread the art show applications (and inevitable rejection letters) along with the happy "you've been accepted' letters that also require a $500 payment to secure my space to exhibit.  I don't think most people realize that artists truly do gamble our lives each day.  We present new work to the jurors each year, and they collectively determine our potential for income.  It is a crapshoot, and I am happy to play.  So far I've been accepted to four shows with no true rejections, but I know those rejection letters are going to come.  It is hard to plan.  We never know what juries want to see, and hardly ever get feedback that helps. It's horrible to get those letters that say "We're really sorry" I'm really happy with the work I've been producing this month, and for now, that is what matters to me the most.

1 comment:

Thanks for your comment!

Linkwithin

You might also like