Saturday, October 10, 2015

Day 10: Double Digits and 'Winging it"

It's Day 10 already.  That means there are only 20 more days of this challenge... A third of the way to the end!
Today I asked everyone to do a sketch of a piece of fruit.  I worked really hard on some strawberries and threw them in the kiln.  I did my shipping, some laundry, etc.  I thought I had gotten ahead a little.  The kids and my teacher hubby were all home today because school was cancelled again, and I took a much needed nap.  WELL, during my 15 minute nap the power went out and then came back on.  We all know what happens mid-firing when the kiln loses power.  Especially when you don't discover that the power went out until hours later.  grrr. 
That flashing 12:00 taunting me on the microwave... I don't think my strawberries are going to make it.  You might be surprised to know that I really don't care all that much.

When I make art, I get what I need to make my heart happy from the process of making it.

Don't get me wrong, when I open the kiln and find things just as I'd hoped they'd be it's a great feeling; but the product is not why I make art.  I make art because I have to.  It's part of who I am.  I can't be 'me' without making art, for better or worse.
(also, I can't pay the bills without making art, but that's not the point here)

We can plan all we want, but it's freeing to just 'wing it' once in awhile. Life is full of opportunities to wing it.  Today I 'winged it' with these pomegranates.  I like them.  The challenge for me now will be to figure out a great color mix to make a good pomegranate color.  Had my original plan worked out I wouldn't be looking for that perfect color mix now, and I'd be stuck with boring strawberries.  I'm excited for the challenge of figuring out the perfect powder mix to make 'pomegranate' now!

Life happens, and art happens.  Embrace both, and don't get upset if you've fallen behind in the challenge!  You can drop in and out as we go.  The important thing is that you keep trying!

Tomorrow's challenge, for Day 10 is to do a sketch of your fruit in some kind of setting, or doing something fun.  You can 'wing it' when it comes to interpreting the challenge... I'm excited to see what you come up with.

Here is my last minute glass sgraffito pomegranate for today,  and an alcohol ink painting for my other 30 in 30 Painting Challenge.  I used my business card, sifter, and the eyelash tool for the glass sketch.


Add Your Link
Don't forget, submissions begin at 12:05 am, EDT.  If you don't see the open link, it's not quite time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Linkwithin

You might also like